Gone are the days of traditional pricey floorings without choice, modern Vinyl flooring is affordable and customizable to fit your every need.
Vinyl flooring is a popular choice for homeowners and businesses in Singapore, thanks to its durability, affordability, and easy maintenance. However, there are a few things to look out for when using vinyl flooring to ensure that it is suitable for your needs and lasts for a long time.
It is a spectacular flooring alternative with state-of-the-art designs in colors, patterns, and textures which gives engineered wood, stone, and porcelain a run for their money. Practical and warm-to-touch, finishing a project with vinyl is worth exploring. Take Vinyl flooring into consideration will definitely transform your interior design plans.
Here are some reasons why consumers lean toward vinyl
- Quality: It’s essential to choose high-quality vinyl flooring to ensure that it will last for years to come. Look for vinyl flooring that is made from 100% virgin vinyl, which is more durable and less prone to cracking than recycled vinyl.
- Thickness: The thickness of the vinyl flooring is an important factor to consider. Thicker vinyl flooring is more durable and will last longer, but it may also be more expensive. Aim for a thickness of at least 2mm for residential use and 3mm for commercial use.
- Installation: Proper installation is crucial for the longevity of vinyl flooring. Make sure that you hire a professional installer who has experience working with vinyl flooring. Poor installation can lead to issues such as peeling, bubbling, and warping.
- Environment: Vinyl flooring is sensitive to extreme temperatures and moisture, so it’s important to consider the environment where it will be installed. Avoid installing vinyl flooring in areas that are prone to flooding or have high humidity levels. Also, avoid exposing vinyl flooring to direct sunlight for prolonged periods, as this can cause fading and discoloration.
- Cleaning and maintenance: While vinyl flooring is easy to maintain, it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for cleaning and maintenance. Avoid using harsh chemicals and abrasive tools that can scratch the surface of the vinyl flooring.
- Warranty: Finally, make sure that the vinyl flooring comes with a warranty that covers defects and damage. Check the terms and conditions of the warranty to ensure that you are covered for the expected lifespan of the vinyl flooring.
- By considering these factors, you can ensure that vinyl flooring is a suitable and long-lasting option for your home or business in Singapore.
Common questions about Vinyl Flooring
What is vinyl flooring?
Vinyl is made from a combination of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and plasticizers. Since timber is not used in its manufacture, technically it is not considered as a type of wood flooring. Vinyl flooring comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns to suit different decor. It is available in many styles, including designs that mimic the lifelike look of hardwood and stone flooring. Visually, it can be difficult to tell the difference between a vinyl product and a real wood or stone material.
Is vinyl waterproof?
Compared to laminate flooring, Vinyl is similar but with better specs — most notably, laminate absorbs water whereas Vinyl repels it. Vinyl flooring is thicker and waterproof, and its moisture-resistant feature makes it suitable for installation at wet, humid areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, and basements.
How to clean vinyl flooring?
One of the greatest things about Vinyl is that it is super easy to maintain. Whenever you have light spills on your Vinyl, you can use a damp mop to clean it up. Even though it is waterproof, you don’t want to soak it with a drenched mop. But you may add a little dish soap to the bucket — or a little white vinegar to make the shine pop! Deep cleaning can be done with a soft bristle brush. Never use steam to clean Vinyl flooring because too much steam can trigger your Vinyl floor to buckle and warp.
Can you put heavy furniture on it?
Vinyl flooring is durable and well-suited to heavy foot traffic. Nevertheless, sharp objects may gouge the floor surface. Alike wood, Vinyl will dent if too much weight is concentrated in one spot. If you find a piece of furniture is particularly heavy that its normal use would severely affect the exterior of traditional wood flooring, then you may expect the same for Vinyl, that you need to place furniture pads on the bottom of the furniture legs, in order to balance out the weight and prevent indentations or other damage.
Is vinyl durable and scratch-proof?
Wood flooring is particularly prone to scratch marks, and the finished layer of ceramic tiles can easily chip off over time. Vinyl certainly holds its own when it comes to scratch resistance. It is designed with scratch-resistant and non-slip properties. It is also the best option for those with allergies or asthma, as the growth of bacteria can be hindered due to fewer connecting seams. Is it perfect for pets’ homes? Yes! The negative effect of scratches by pet claws can be minimized.
Can vinyl be used on walls?
Some people have considered using Vinyl flooring tiles or planks on the walls of bathrooms and kitchens. Note that only solid surface panels should be used for all vertical applications and the substrate must be dry and dust-free. Apply appropriate adhesive to spread evenly across the wall to avoid blistering. When installing Vinyl on the walls of wet areas, use a joint sealer to ensure that the installation surface is stable.
Is vinyl suitable for installation over existing floors?
Want to install new floors, but don’t know what to do with the old ones? No need to worry. You can easily install the floating Vinyl plank flooring without removing the existing one. It is not difficult to install new Vinyl planks over your old laminate, ceramics, or concrete, as long as you prepare the existing flooring properly. The best thing about Vinyl flooring is that it can cover floors that have a lot of cracks.
Is vinyl suitable for outdoor installation?
It is highly recommended that you fully adhere Vinyl flooring to your outdoor deck or patio for the best durability, appearance and performance. PVC naturally expands and contracts with changes in temperature. If you roll out Vinyl flooring underneath furniture without adhesives, you risk the possibility that heavy furniture won’t allow it to naturally expand and contract, eventually causing it to crease in places over time. Wrinkles can occur in between chairs or tables with Vinyl flooring that do not adhere. And note that Vinyl flooring colors can fade with exposure to excessive direct sunlight.
Is underfoot condition comfortable?
Vinyl flooring is ideal for people who stand on their feet without slippers most of the time. You’re going to be surprised how comfortable and quiet the Vinyl flooring can be. It looks and feels warmer than any other floor and it eliminates noise, which may be essential for users with children or pets. It is also no secret that vinyl flooring offers a softer surface than other types of floors for the reason it is usually backed with foam. The soft layer allows the floor to be more elastic so that you can stand longer.